Wednesday, September 14, 2011

In Class Dialogue

My sister stumbled down the stairs at about ten, her hair messy and her eyes still filled with sleep. Even though she had barely woken up, I had been awake for hours: making tea,chatting on the phone, and even working on a little homework.
“Hey, do you want to go out for breakfast?” I ask, hoping to start her day off right. Her eyes light up for a moment, but then her smile fades.
“Oh, I’d love to, but I don’t think what’s left off my allowance can cover it.”
“Really?” I question, surprised. “How much do you have?”
She runs back up the stairs, calling over her shoulder, “Let me go look, just a sec!” In a few moments she’s back, but I can already tell from her face that we’ll be eating cold cereal at home today.
“How much?” I probe, curious.
Shrugging, she replies, “About thirty-five cents.” After an awkward pause she grins, and I smile, too. What in the world did she spend all her cash on?
“Thirty-five cents? Jeez!” I tease, messing up her hair a little more with my hand. She scrunches her nose, and then heads towards the fridge to search in its cavernous depths for something free to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment